Diverse, authentic and compelling full-color imagery brings the “On my way to a better life” brand platform to life. The key is to align emotional elements of the brand with primary support signals and visual cues. Select images that authentically engage the viewer and speak directly. Individuals engaged in real action and in real context establish credibility, a sense of confidence and success. Arizona State University is a vibrant place, full of colorful emotion, iconic places and culture of innovation. Our imagery shows this vibrancy of life and opportunity best when in full color. Black and white/grayscale imagery is best reserved for historical purposes when color is not an option.
Visual cues to keep in mind
- Does the imagery strike an emotional chord and capture a live event or moment?
- Does the imagery of people feel natural and not too staged?
- Is there an authenticity to the image, as if the camera was invisible to the subject?
- Capture a sense of empowerment and control.
- Look for individual and unique expressions of ASU’s thriving culture.
- Get close and be direct with camera angles — no extreme angles to avoid distortion.
- Natural light when possible — avoid the use of artificial light unless it can be balanced with natural light.
“Smile appeal.” Research shows that seeing the smiling eyes and faces of others creates human connection and supports affinity-building. Because of the mirror neurons in our brains, images of smiling models produce more consumer joy and positive attitudes for the marketed product.*
*Berg, H., Söderlund, M., & Lindström, A. (2015). Spreading joy: Examining the effects of smiling models on consumer joy and attitudes. Journal of Consumer Marketing