The placement of any signage on campus requires review by multiple units to ensure that it functions efficiently and intuitively while minimizing visual clutter and maximizing brand consistency. Enterprise Brand Strategy and Management reviews all signage to ensure brand alignment and coordinates with the Office of the University Architect and Facilities Development and Management, as appropriate. If approved, signage print orders will be printed through the Print and Imaging Lab. These guidelines apply to all properties owned, leased or controlled by ASU and covers the following:
Brand execution guidelines
Signage and environmental graphics standards and guidelines
Explore signage guidelines
- Lawn signs are prohibited on all campuses. This change is due to the university’s expansion of digital messaging opportunities across all its campuses and to provide our campuses with a cleaner aesthetic.
- In general, any free-standing or WindMaster signs are prohibited for use as directional signage, office or vendor identification, or unit event marketing, on all ASU campuses both inside and outside.
- A-frames are limited for special events only and may only be placed outside. The inserts must also be ordered through the ASU Print and Imaging Lab.
- Pop-up banners are allowed for events, when the event is in being held, but may not be used prior to market the event. Pop-up banners should only be placed near a registration table or against a wall at the event for ADA compliance.
- No banners may be hung from any surface on any ASU campus or ASU affiliated location.
- The one exception that has been granted is reserved for commencement programming at Sun Devil Stadium and Desert Financial Arena.
- Foamcore or ultraboard posters in shared spaces (high traffic areas or public corridors).
- Door or elevator wraps.
- Custom building or room identification signage that has not been approved through OUA.
- Paper signs (printed or handwritten).
- Floor graphics (with the exception of executive leadership approved university initiatives).
- Standalone vinyl lettering on surfaces.
Definition – Graphics: Graphics are visual elements that are used in marketing content to promote and demonstrate the ASU brand. Graphics can include many types of media, like images, icons, textures or charts.