ASU’s brand platform is an enduring, strategic internal statement that defines and guides the positioning of the university in the marketplace. It informs how ASU’s brand essence is communicated and it helps keep those communications and creative manifestations consistent, unified and complementary.
The ASU brand platform was developed in 2014 to:
- Provide a unified direction for marketing communications, strategy and development of tactics.
- Create and sustain competitive insulation.
- Secure loyalty from different constituents.
- Optimize resources and efforts across ASU.
Two key principles were adopted in order to develop an ASU brand platform that would endure:
- Understand the fundamental human values in the context of getting a college education, and effectively position ASU as the ideal route to achieve a high-priority value.
- The most overall appealing expressions of fundamental human values are the ones most relevant to “new customers” — in our case, students.
Fundamental human values are:
- Enduring beliefs tied inextricably to emotion, not objective ideas. They are abstract and transcend specific actions or situations.
- Motivational constructs or desirable goals that people strive to attain.
- Standards or criteria that guide selection or evaluation of actions, policies, people and events.
Process to establish an enduring ASU brand platform:
Through research with hundreds of constituents we explored the landscape of fundamental human values:
With the narrowed scope of values identified in phase 1, we screened multiple platform concepts with constituents. Through this refinement phase we discovered that “On my way to a better life” is the best bet for an enduring ASU brand platform based on the highest-priority values for ASU's target audience within our competitive landscape.
Through iterative screening we determined the best visual and verbal signals associated with ASU's brand platform and ensured that they are appealing to the entry point. Hundreds of images and messages were tested in the initial brand platform process. See the Elements of the Brand section for tips and examples on-platform photography and messages.
ASU brand platform and the ASU Charter
The two are neither synonymous nor competitive. The ASU Charter for the New American University model conveys what we do as an institution. The ASU brand platform conveys why we do it in a way that is motivating and relevant for constituents.