We are bold and bright, in headlines, quotes and other text elements. ASU says and does bold, clear things in the world and our fonts behave in the same way.
Akzidenz Grotesk Standard
Primary print font
Akzidenz Grotesk Standard is the primary typeface for ASU-branded marketing and communications. We do not recommend any secondary fonts. Akzidenz Grotesk is a classic sans-serif typeface designed in 1896. It was the first sans-serif to be widely used and influenced many later typefaces. It is for these reasons that this font was selected, as it was the originator from which many were inspired. It conveys strength, clarity, originality, influence and authority.
How to use the font in your materials
- Bold is the primary font weight to create recognizable ASU materials and is recommended for all titles, headlines and other large type uses.
- Regular and Light: recommended for use in body text.
- Medium: recommended for use where variation is needed in smaller supporting text.
- Regular Italic and Medium Italic: recommended for use only in limited scenarios as needed in paragraphs of text to note titles of works or other text where the italic is used to add meaning or aid understanding. Not intended for use in headlines or large type.
- Condensed: recommended for use only in limited scenarios where space and clarity necessitate use, as in the labelling of numbers in infographics and charts. Not intended for use in headlines or large type.
- Super, Heavy and Extended: Although they are currently licensed for some media, Akzidenz Grotesk Std Super, Heavy and Extended have been retired from brand use and are no longer approved.