In general, use AP style guidelines for capitalization. Exceptions are outlined in this section.
See ASU locations, campuses, buildings and units for guidelines.
A complete list of university forms is at students.asu.edu/forms.
- Capitalize the full names of forms such as applications. Do not capitalize when used in a descriptive manner.
- ✅ Do: ASU Scholarship Estimator, the scholarship estimator.
- ✅ Do: Enrollment Verification Request.
- ✅ Do: enrollment verification form, 🚫 Don't: Enrollment Verification Form.
See Formatting for headline guidelines.
- New American University Scholars:
- Uppercase “S” in Scholars.
- Most ASU merit-based awards are part of the New American University Scholarship and Financial Assistance program.
- All recipients are called New American University Scholars with varying levels of awards.
asu.edu subdomains and pages
- All pages on asu.edu follow ASU writing style guidelines.
- In menus and navigation: For accessibility optimization, menus/navigation on asu.edu, use title case, with the first letter of each word capitalized.
- ✅ Do: About Us, 🚫 Don't: About us
- In headings: Titles on page and in heroes follow AP style and are sentence case, with the first letter of the sentence and proper nouns capitalized.
- ✅ Do: Engineering degree programs, 🚫 Don't: Engineering Degree Programs
URLs are always lowercase:
✅ Do: asu.edu
✅ Do: amazon.com
✅ Do: facebook.com
Names of websites are capitalized without quotes:
- ✅ Do: Facebook
- ✅ Do: LinkedIn
- ✅ Do: Amazon
- ✅ Do: Google