Optimizing content for publishing on social media maximizes the return on your social media marketing investment. This section provides an overview and quick tips on how you can successfully optimize how you share your content in social media.
How to see what the preview will look like:
Facebook, Twitter and Facebook provide tools that allow you to check what a particular link will look like once shared.
How to change what the preview will look like:
Once you check what your preview will look like, you will have the option of continuing forward with the link as is, or changing how it looks. Depending on the platform, the process to change a link preview varies.
For the past few years, platforms have integrated scheduling tools into their native offerings, but how do you know when you should use a third party tool, or when to use the native platform?
Hootsuite is a great tool where you can centrally plan all of your posts and tweets. Unfortunately, some formats are not available to be scheduled directly on Hootsuite.
As a good rule of thumb, use Hootsuite to schedule:
- Facebook link and image posts (including posts with GIFs).
- Twitter link and image tweets.
- Instagram single-image posts.
- LinkedIn link and image updates.
Facebook Creator Studio
Through Facebook Creator Studio, you can schedule posts for Facebook and, if your Instagram account is connected to your Facebook page, you can also schedule posts for Instagram. The benefit of using Facebook Creator Studio instead of a third party tool (like Hootsuite) is that it offers few scheduling options not available outside of the native platform.
As a good rule of thumb, use Facebook Creator Studio to schedule:
- Facebook video posts
- You can schedule videos through Hootsuite, but the Facebook video scheduler option has a lot more features than the one provided by Hootsuite.
- Facebook link posts where you need to change the thumbnail preview
- You can achieve this through “Facebook Page Posts.”
- Once the posts are created, they’ll appear in Facebook Creator Studio.
- Facebook albums
- Facebook carousel posts
- You can achieve this through “Facebook Page Posts”.
- Facebook Stories
- You can post directly from desktop by using Facebook Creator Studio.
- Stories scheduling is currently being deployed through Facebook Business Suite.
- Instagram carousel posts
- Instagram video posts
- IGTV videos
Multi-image post: here, the assets that were created for this story get cropped in a way that’s detrimental to the user experience and how we portray the story on our channels.
End result: In light of how the images were cropped by LinkedIn, we switched tactics, and instead of sharing a multi-image post, we changed the image on the thumbnail preview and shared the story as a link post.
This schedule works for any holiday that falls on a Monday, but for moving holidays (like Fourth of July, Veterans Day, New Year’s, Christmas) create a specific schedule that fulfills your needs. As a good rule of thumb, allow two business days from when you receive the content to when it is supposed to go live.
Since the Thanksgiving holiday is typically the longest holiday observed by the university, feel free to follow this schedule in order to streamline content creation that is scheduled to go live during the holiday, as well as immediately after.