Request Access Approvals banner hero
Access and requests

Filming for class and club projects on campus

As a current ASU student you may film (which includes photography, motion picture, video recordings, or written or spoken statements) at many facilities and locations on all ASU campuses for class projects, provided you first secure permission from authorized ASU decision-makers. 

If you are a current ASU student wanting to film in an ASU facility or on campus for any personal project that is NOT related to an assigned class project, then please fill out a commercial filming application.

You MUST watch this Introductory Video to guide you through the Student Class and Club Project on Campus Location Filming Process.

For each narrative and documentary project you do as assigned classwork or as a club-affiliated project, you will need to fill out an ASU Production Agreement which includes the Safe Set Filming Declaration, including ASU Student Production Agreement, to inform your instructor or Club Faculty Mentor that you are acknowledging if you have any of the elements that require a Faculty Safety Review Meeting. You still need to fill out the form even if you don’t have any safety issues.

You will receive a confirmation through the Adobe Sign process. Save the confirmation for your records.

Step-by-step guide for ASU student location filming process

The ASU Student Locations Agreement Form  and the ASU Production Agreement documents are used to secure authorization for the film session location/facility. It is each student's responsibility to obtain permission from an authorized ASU facility representative. This decision-maker will sign and approve each filming location that you would like to use.

To request access to ASU on-campus locations, you will need to do the following steps:

  1. For the area you want to access, find the person who is the authorized decision-maker for the specific location who can give you permission to film on the dates and times that you want to film. You will find a number of those facility representative contacts by scrolling down the page under the Exterior Locations and Interior Locations sections. 
  2. Once you have secured permission from a location representative via email, follow this link to the ASU Student Location Agreements Form and fill it out and submit the form. It will automatically forward to the person who approved your request in Step 1 when you input their name and email address into the form and then they will countersign it and it will go back to you. Download the approval form for your records and upload it to the Student Location Filming Permit Application at the bottom of this webpage.
  3. At the bottom of this webpage, you will find the Student Location Filming Permit Application where you will identify where and when you want to film and then upload the signed ASU Student Location Agreements Form as well as the signed ASU Production Agreement. If you have more than one location for filming, you will need to do a separate application for each location.
  4. Barring any issues with permissions, you will receive your approved Student Location Filming Permit through email within three (3) business days.
  5. Instructions are on the permit instructing you to notify ASU police the day before you come on campus, and then again when you arrive on campus the day of your film session. If you have any weapons on campus for the filming of scenes, ASU Police will visit your location on campus to inspect them.

Note: For classwork and club-project filming, the application must be submitted at least three (3) to five (5) business days prior to the production date, as ASU requires this amount of time to process your request. Students are not allowed to film non-class related projects on campus without first applying for, and receiving  a commercial permit at Commercial Filming and Photography on Campus

Exterior locations

The following Exterior Locations need special permission with contact information below:

  • ASU parking lots and structures – This formal request requires five (5) business days in advance, in addition to the three (3) days notice for a permit for a total of eight (8) business days. Email Adam Petzold and identify the date and time range you want to film,  the lot or structure by its number designation, the lot or structure (map for reference), what class you are filming for, and the name of your instructor and their email.
    • You will upload a copy of the email reply from Adam Petzold with the Online Application to be processed. You do NOT need to send Adam the countersign ASU Student Location Filming Agreement for an additional signature. You will just upload his approval email.
  • Athletic facilitiesYou will need a minimum of two weeks to get a decision on the availability of the location. You also can request access to ASU’s athletic facilities, such as the track stadium, baseball and football fields, swimming complex and a variety of other filming locations. Request access through the athletics facilities representative and include your script with the request.
  • Athletic fields – Like everything on campus, you can film in the athletic fields located at the exterior of the Sun Devil Fitness Complex. You will need to go to the front desk at the SDFC to request permission and they will sign the Student Filming Agreement and Safety Policy (for on-campus location filming only) Form located on the Location Filming website. There is currently no specific contact name at the SDFC to give you permission to film.
  • Driving scenes – Filming driving scenes outside of campus requires City Permits which will cost you fees, as opposed to filming on-campus. On the Tempe campus, you  can film on both E. Orange Street and McAllister Ave which runs from University to Apache and Orange leading to the ASU bookstore. You need to do the online application and request the area of the roads where you want to film. For other campuses, you can only film on campus roads only. On-campus driving scenes are restricted to Saturdays and Sundays on non-football and non-basketball Gamedays. Request permission to film driving scenes on McAllister on ASU’s Tempe campus.
  • Filming in the desert – Students frequently want to film in the desert. Understand that every piece of desert is owned by someone, either privately or by a municipality such as the state, county or city. If you are looking for a desert location, there is a great desert location at West Valley on the southeast portion of campus. Scout the location and you’ll find that it is perfect for your location needs. Request permission to film desert scenes on ASU’s West Valley campus.
  • MiX Center - Students can film in the exterior of the new MiX Center in downtown Mesa that houses areas for various programs in the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts. To reserve areas for production, use the Student Space Request for Filming and Audition Space at the MIX Center form
  • Neighborhoods – You do not need an ASU Student Film Permit to film on private or public property. The guideline is that in a neighborhood you can keep the camera on private property. Once you move the camera on the sidewalk or in the street, you are obligated to get a city permit to film on the public thoroughfare.
    • If you want to film in the street, you can go to a private area with an HOA and get permission to film there. An apartment complex parking lot is ideal if you get permission from the management.
    • If you need to put a camera in the street for driving or walking scenes, you can film anywhere on campus with a road, and there are some dorm rooms that look like apartments at both ASU West campus and ASU Polytechnic campus. Scout them and one of them may be of interest to you.
  • Memorial Union – You need at least one week’s notice to request permission to film outside the MU. Submit a filming request to shoot at the exterior of the Memorial Union and/or the Student Pavilion

To film exteriors that are NOT on the above list such as sidewalks, building exteriors, please follow the link for Additional Exterior Location Requests.


Interior locations

Unlike the exterior location request process, you will need to get permission from whoever is responsible for the location to sign the Facility Location Release form. This is the Student Locations Agreement Form that you will need to download, get filled out and signed by whoever is responsible, and then upload with your online application form.

Interiors are more difficult to get access during the weeknights, but the weekends are always available.

Interior locations with contact info:

  • Memorial Union — You need at least one week's notice to request permission to film in the MU or you will be charged a fee for using the space. Submit a filming request for the Memorial Union and Student Pavilion.
  • Libraries — You need to go to the library front desk and speak with a library representative. You will upload a copy of their signed form directly to the Student Location Filming Permit Application. You do NOT need to send the follow up ASU Student Location Filming Agreement to the library representative.
  • Classrooms — You can film in all of the classrooms on campus depending on the day and time. You will need to reserve two classrooms, one for production and the other as a green room and staging area. Find two classrooms as close to each other as possible, determine the day and times you want to film, and request using the ASU Classroom Filming Location Request Form at least FIVE (5) BUSINESS DAYS IN ADVANCE to make classroom reservations. 
  • The Fine Arts Center — It is recommended that you request access to two rooms if you are filming in one so the other one can act as a green room and staging area. Choose your rooms first and then email Gren Radcliff at The Sidney Poitier New American Film School to make a reservation.
  • Community Services Building — Students have the option to film both interiors and exteriors from 5 p.m.–12 a.m. Monday through Friday (provided they stay clear of any open offices during that time) and they can film exteriors Saturday and Sunday all day until midnight. To request access to the Community Services Building, use the ASU Classroom Filming Location Request Form.
  • MiX Center — Students can film both interiors at the MiX Center in downtown Mesa including classroom, flex spaces and soundstages for various programs in the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts. To reserve soundstages at the MiX Center, use the MIX Center Soundstage Rental Requests page and to request Filming Areas such as rooms, hallways and the screening areas at the MiX Center that are NOT Soundstages, use the Student Space Request for Filming and Audition Space at the MIX Center form.

Student location filming permit application

This application is for a single location only. If you have multiple locations, please submit them one-after-the-other to process the request faster. Requests must be submitted at least three (3) business days before your requested filming day(s).

Student contact information
One file only.
2 MB limit.
Allowed types: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, txt, pdf, doc, docx, ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
Allowed types: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, txt, pdf, doc, docx, ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx.
One file only.
2 MB limit.
Allowed types: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, txt, pdf, doc, docx, ppt, pptx, xls, xlsx.

Please ensure that the signed ASU Student Production Agreement (or the email confirmation you received from a facility representative) and the signed ASU Film Policy are both attached to this application before submitting. Permit applications without signed agreements will not be processed and returned to the applicant.

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.