Webspark is the ASU enterprise content management system distribution supported by the University Technology Office. Webspark offers turn-key, easy-to-use, web standards compliant, website building compatible with Arizona State University Rational Information Technology Environment (ASURITE) authentication. Features include slideshows, accordions, carousels, iSearch pages, ASU News, ASU Events and more. View the asu.edu UI kit to see a full inventory of included components.
Webspark 1, sunsetting
Webspark versions are changing to enhance the ASU website (asu.edu) user experience in favor of accessibility and evolving web standards compliance. Webspark 1, utilizing the Drupal 7 framework, assets have been modified and archived to support the transition.
Webspark 1 will no longer be supported in Spring 2022.
- If you have a website to build or questions regarding an existing site, connect with the ASU web community via Slack.
- Webspark 1 training resources have been archived. View the archived Webspark 1 materials document.
Webspark 2, launch
Webspark 2 will utilize the new Drupal 9 framework, web standards, accessibility and enhanced user experience for all of ASU’s diverse audiences. Webspark 2 will leverage advances in website development at ASU by using the Unity Design System.
We recommend that everyone considering the creation or spin-up of a new website, or migrating an old website from Drupal 7 to Drupal 9, to wait until the stable release is ready for consumption.
Webspark 2 stable release in summer 2021.
- Training and resources will be available post stable release.
- Check back for resource updates.
For added guidance regarding this effort, see the building an asu.edu website tools, training and resources page, join the ASU Slack web community for updates or email us.
If you don't have a Pantheon account, go to https://dashboard.pantheon.io/register and create an account using your ASURITE@asu.edu email.
You'll be taken to a welcome page. Click the Create your first site button.
On the next page, give your site a working name. Something short and relevant is best, as you won't be able to change this URL later. Click Create Site.
Select I agree on the pop-up that appears and Continue.
Next, click the Install Webspark button.
It may take a few minutes to spin up a site. Once you see the Your site is ready screen, click Visit your Pantheon dashboard.
Your Pantheon dashboard can look overwhelming at first. For now, just click the “Visit Development Site” button in the upper left. (To learn more about the Pantheon dashboard, read https://pantheon.io/docs/sites/.)
You're now going to install the Drupal software to your site. Click the Save and continue button.
Select installation profile for Webspark and fill in next steps.
It may take a few minutes to install the software. Once it does, you'll be taken to the site configuration page. Fill out the information requested:
- Name — is already filled out for you, but you may change it now or later through your site settings.
- Site email address — choose a reachable email address (not required to be an @asu.edu email).
- Username — you may change the name of this user, but choose something generic. This is User 1, who has super admin access and stays with the site, even when actual personnel change.
- Email address — User 1 usually is given the same email as the Site email address above.
- Password — choose a strong password and remember or record it.
ASURITE user ID — leave this blank in case of personnel changes or you need to change the User 1 password quickly (you won't want it associated with an ASURITE password).