Celebrate Earth Month® at ASU
April is Earth Month, an important month for raising awareness for, increasing education around and inspiring collaborative action in sustainability at ASU. As a communicator, you’ll find several opportunities to promote sustainability — as well as advance your own sustainability knowledge and impact.
Here are the top five ways you can get involved:
1. Promote and participate in ASU events
This year’s Earth Month is anchored by a special celebration (kicking off Earth Week) where we'll formally open the doors to ASU’s newest and largest research and learning facility, The Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Building 7.
Leading up to this milestone event, there will be special presentations, lectures, panels, interactive installations and tours highlighting the sustainability efforts underway at ASU and beyond. Share these on your social channels, in your newsletters and wherever you communicate with your audiences.
Here’s where you’ll find sustainability events, programs and initiatives to raise awareness around:
- Earth Week schedule of events.
- Sustainable Sun Devils.
- Sustainability with Sun Devil Athletics.
- Global Futures events.
- Walton programs.
- Sustainable Cities Network.
- Sustainability Points of Pride virtual tour.
- 2022 Democracy and Climate Change Conference.
2. Social media assets — important update on graphics and how to use them
You’ll find updated social media assets for Earth Day and Earth Month in the Holiday and heritage month toolkit.
Important note — “Earth Month” is a registered phrase and wordmark. It should NOT be used in graphics at this time until the university has acquired official written permission from the holder of the mark. When using “Earth Month” in copy, ensure the first instance on the piece or page has the official registered mark.
Also, look for ways to amplify these sustainability-focused channels on social:
- Arboretum at Arizona State University: Facebook, Twitter.
- Garden Commons: Facebook, Instagram.
- University Sustainability Practices: Facebook, Instagram, Newsletter, Twitter.
- Zero Waste: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
3. Highlight ASU’s sustainability facts and figures
When talking about sustainable actions, you can highlight some of our top rankings to show how ASU’s sustainability efforts are making an impact on our global future.
Did you know, Arizona State University is …
Ranked No. 1 in the U.S., ahead of MIT and UNC–Chapel Hill, for global impact in advancing the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals
Ranked No. 1 for sustainability in North America ahead of UCLA and Yale
4. Use your swag sustainably
Do you have leftover swag from events and contests? How much of it are you using? You can help your team be more sustainable with the Staff Council Sustainability Committee’s Sustainable Swag Purchasing Toolkit. In the guide, you’ll discover ideas, vendors and popular sustainable item suggestions.
View sustainable swag toolkit
5. Increase your sustainability practices
Not only can you increase awareness around sustainability, but as part of the ASU community, you can leverage university resources to guide your own sustainability practice. Take this opportunity to focus on how you and your team can move the needle.
Ways to advance sustainability as an individual or team:
- Become a Green Devil in your office with the Green Devil Recognition Training.
- Learn the basics of sustainability with the Seeds of Sustainability Training.
- Explore the many other sustainability courses available to you in Career EDGE.
- Enroll in the Sustainability Recognition Program to certify you, your team or an event.
- Volunteer to sort Blue Bags as part of ASU’s Zero Waste initiative.
See spring 2022: #ASUgrad social media toolkit